Perform a Nasal Swab Sample Collection
In each case, collect samples by standard clinical methods. Tip the patient’s head back and check to see which nostril has more mucus (head should be inclined from vertical as shown for proper specimen collection). It is important to obtain as much secretion as possible.
(Inlcuded in Sofia 2 SARS Antigen FIA Kit)
- Gently insert the sterile swab until resistance is met at the level of the turbinates (less than one inch into the nostril).
- Rotate the swab a few times against the nasal wall and remove from nostril.
- Sample should be tested as soon as possible.
Note: Nasopharyngeal is optional and only needs to be performed if a Nasal Swab cannot be performed.
- Gently insert the sterile swab.
- Keep the swab near the septum floor of the nose while gently pushing the swab into the posterior nasopharynx.
- Rotate the swab several times and remove from nostril.
- Sample should be tested as soon as possible